What age can you babysit?
Maybe you like playing with the kids on the block, but you know how protective Mrs. Kay is of her kids. You don’t want to embarrass yourself by offering to babysit and being told you are too immature. Can a 12 year old babysit? Can a 14 year old babysit?
Or maybe you are a Mom who wants a date night or a kid-free shopping trip but can’t help imagining the worst will happen. You could never live with yourself if you trusted a babysitter who couldn’t handle the situation and something happened to your children and as a result, you are probably questioning: What’s the youngest age to babysit?
Well, there are lots of sites out there that talk about generic (and obvious) guidelines, like, “They must be mature and capable.” But, how do you tell? What is the short answer?
We have a list of questions that you can ask yourself about the babysitter (whether that is you or someone else) that can give you an accurate answer to what age can babysit responsibly.
If you would rather take the Buzzfeed version of the quiz “At what age can you babysit,” CLICK HERE.
The Quiz Questions:
- Do they complete homework assignments on time and work diligently in school?
- Do they treat their younger siblings/other children with respect and patience?
- When they communicate with adults, are they clear, honest, and respectful?
- Do they know basic first aid?
- Do they know what to do in cases of emergency?
- Will they feel comfortable contacting the parent if they need help?
- Do they have experience taking care of young children?
- Are they constantly attending to their phone more than the people around them?
- Can they stay focused for an extended period of time?
- Are they honest?
- Can they remain calm in crazy situations?
- Will they maintain authority? (ie. Are your kids going to listen to them? Will they will discipline appropriately?)
- Do they control their temper?
- Can they remember basic house rules, like locking the door when leaving or entering the house, not opening the door to strangers, etc.?
- What time of day will they be babysitting?
- How many children will they be tending?
- What ages are the children?
- Are the children they will be babysitting especially hyperactive, mischievous, disabled or otherwise requiring a lot of attention?
- How long will they be babysitting?
What is the Legal Babysitting Age?
If you are still not sure at what age can you babysit, maybe these guidelines will help:
Most states do not have a legal age to babysit. For those that do, it ranges between 10-14.
The Red Cross recommends that babysitters begin babysitting between the ages of 11 and 15.
The Short Answer
Ultimately, however, the only thing that matters is if the parents know and trust you and think you are up to the task. So, if they will hire you, you are good to go!
If you think you may be too young to babysit, try Mother’s Helper jobs. (What is a Mother’s helper?) You can still make money while gaining the parent’s trust.
Bridging the Gap
If you are a wanna-be-babysitter but want to improve some of your answers above, try signing up for our Babysitting Business Academy. Since I am a parent, I can promise that if you follow through with the steps outlined in this $29 course, parents will be impressed by your dedication, responsibility, organization, and preparation.
For other ways you can increase your success babysitting, check out the following links!
- Can an 11 year old babysit?
- Can a 12 year old babysit?
- Can a 13 year old babysit?
- Can a 14 year old babysit?
- Can a 15 year old babysit?